Swedish court sentences Uzbek man for preparing attack

By – Associated Press – Friday, March 8, 2019

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) – A 46-year-old man was found guilty Friday of preparing an attack in on behalf of the Islamic State group and sentenced to seven years in jail.

The Solna District Court in Stockholm says , an Uzbek national who has been living legally in since 2008, should be expelled for life from where his family lives after serving his time. He was also found guilty of financing the radical Islamic group in Syria.

The court said Friday that had gathered some 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds) of chemicals, knives, gas masks and military equipment, and photos of potentials targets in were found on his cellphone.

Two other younger men who knows and who were also suspected in the case, were acquitted. They were released from detention earlier this week.

A total of six men were also accused of financing IS by sending up to 20,000 kronor ($2.135) each. The court found four of them – including – guilty of that charge and gave them prison sentences ranging between four and six months. Two were acquitted.

The men – five Uzbeks and a citizen of Kyrgyzstan – communicated via closed chatrooms. All live legally in and denied wrongdoing.

There was no link to Rakhmat Akilov, the Uzbek man behind the 2017 deadly truck attack.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our before commenting.

 

Click to and View Comments

Click to Hide

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.